Monday, October 6, 2014

Funeral for a Friend

I think today was the first funeral I have attended 1) alone and 2) that was not family.  It's a weird thing.  I know we all think we are invincible and nothing will ever happen to us...but sometimes it does.  She was 22.  Goddamn.  I know at 22 you think you're grown, but she was barely legal to drink.  We all love you, Allie.  I wish we could have helped you.  There is no just God or you would still be with us.

OK mushy time over.  On to the rant.

It was a Catholic funeral.  Ug.  Now I'm not here to bash anyone's religion...oh who am I kidding?  Yes I am.  It was fucking ridiculous.  They have a GODDAMN MANUAL so that you can follow along with the service.  Bad sign.  It started off so rote and impersonal, I got mad.  It is all about the ceremony and very little about the person.  Somewhere in there, they made God a salad and some lamb (I think).  He didn't seem interested.  Then, the priest, who couldn't have been more than 12, played peekaboo with some box behind him.  Sweet zombie Jesus.  It was 80% ritual and 20% actual giving a shit about the person we all lost.  MAYBE.  I can't believe anyone still buys this crud.  I have never wanted to stand up in a funeral and berate someone, much less EVERYONE.  

I have attended a baptism, a wedding and a funeral.  I think I am officially done with Catholicism.

No comments:

Post a Comment